Wednesday, February 11, 2009

2009/02/11 - Day 6: High intensity

Today's session was pretty tough and really worked my muscles to the point of feeling a nice burn. I can feel that the bodyweight work has a solid impact on raw strength as well as the potential to pack on some solid muscle. Here is the session:

Max rep drop sets (twice through):

Push ups, ellipses, screw presses

One legged squats, supported one legged squats, trinity squats

Isometric holds:

Crow right, Crow left, full Crow

Superman hold, bent Superman hold, plank


I took about 15 minutes rest after the bodyweight work and then proceeded with:

Kettlebells: AKC fitness protocol / 16kg / 4 minutes work / 90 seconds rest:

Push Press: 32/32

Half Snatch: 20/20

Long Cycle Push Press: 20/20


The muscle fatigue produced by the bodyweight exercises are quite extraordinary and makes the kettlebell sets a lot harder than they normally are. Like on Saturday this became especially apparent in the last kettlebell set. As a result I missed my target rep range for the last minute by 5 reps. I dropped the bell briefly after the time ran out and then cranked out the last five reps as fast as possible. I think I should probably do a test set with the bells after a few weeks of this training schedule to see what my performance is like when I'm totally fresh. My next two days will be pretty easy and focused on joint mobility and compensatory work.

No comments: