Thursday, April 29, 2010

Patience and kettlebell lifting

Tonight’s session was a bit better than last night’s:

RMAX KB Foundation warm up

2x20kg Jerk: 2 minutes @ 6rpm

2x20kg Jerk: 2 minutes @ 6rpm

16kg Snatch: 4 minutes @ 14rpm

20kg Swing: Tabata protocol

I am beginning to realize that kettlebell lifting demands a lot of patience. Sure, it is easy to push hard every session or add all kinds of exercises for the sake of blasting your body. This in my mind is not the route towards longevity or mastery of the bells. In a sense what I’m doing at the moment is based on what Coach Sommer of Gymnastic Bodies calls “steady-state training.” This training methodology is based on picking a few exercises or skills and practicing them consistently for extended time periods (30 days to 6 weeks) without adding much in terms of volume, density or intensity. Only when an exercise starts feeling too easy does one consider adding anything. I’m happy with this format at the moment. I’ll do my best to practice the skills of kettlebell lifting consistently; fitness, strength and other benefits will come with time as a nice by-product. 

No comments: