Wednesday, September 30, 2009

2009-09-30 - Some new ideas

Lately I've been on a quest to find an approach to GS that works for me. I've been lucky enough to receive some great ideas from John Buckley and Paul Tucker. Mainly what I've been focusing on as a result has been working on building volume via multiple short sets rather than a daily dose of ten minutes in the OAJ and ten in the snatch. Today another piece of the GS "puzzle" fell into place for me when Ken Blackburn of the IKFF shared a pretty nasty jerk workout with me. The volume of work in what Ken shared is simply insane (which means I like it a lot). Although designed for Jerks I decided to apply the protocol to my One Arm Jerks (I really do need more bells). Here is what I did:

Warm up: Z NWU 1

24kg OAJ followed immediately by 16kg OAJ: 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 (on the right and left)


The way I did this was to do 5 OAJ's with the 24kg followed immediately by the same with the 16kg. After 2 minutes rest I did the same with the other arm and so on. The total volume was 180 one arm jerks (90 right / 90 left).

I really like this protocol and it will become a major part of my training going forward. BTW, this is a very abbreviated version of the full progression. The volume reached in the full version is incredible. I might have to start thinking about only training 4 days a week rather than five - too much volume might lead to burnout eventually.

No comments: