Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2008/12/30 - Another little step forward

When I played with the AKC fitness protocol before I cheated by never doing the levels requiring only 30 seconds of rest between sets. This time around I've been able to maintain my discipline and I'm following the protocol exactly as designed. In my current 4x7 I've been using the protocol on my high intensity days and have gone from level 1 - 3. Today I upped it a bit and did a level 4 workout. The session went like this:

Joint mobility

16kg / 2 minutes work / 30 seconds rest of:

Push Press: 16/16

Half Snatch: 10/10

Long Cycle Push Press: 10/10

I followed this with a high intensity day circuit from the BWER program:

4 x through the following in a Superset format:

Quad Squats, Spinal Rocks, Leg Swoops, Jump Squats

Swing (24kg): 10/10

Compensatory cool-down

Today's AKC session showed me that something I've been doing lately is definitely working. I didn't find the 30 second rest periods much of a hassle and made the required rep range for the sets quite easily. From what I've been reading about the 4x7 protocol it might be the waving intensity used in the protocol that is making the difference. If I look at my log for the past 20 or so days I have been making very rapid progress not only in terms of endurance but also strength. Even the body-weight circuit went better today than the first time I did it and this was only the second time through the circuit. Thanks to Scott Sonnon for a great protocol and for Adam and Ryan for bringing us the body-weight version of the 4x7 protocol.

My next kettlebell session will be down at Ballito! We're leaving on the second for a week at the coast. In the meantime, HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!

No comments: