Saturday, April 18, 2009

So much to do, so little time

I am confused. Very confused. I started this blog because of my love for kettlebells. Initially kettlebells meant Pavel. Then it meant Girevoy Sport. Where I am now kettlebells somehow seem to have become a toy in a very big playpen. I have recently discovered that my main focus when it comes to fitness is the ability to move my body through as many ranges of freedom as I could possibly think of. The problem is that I feel that I am dropping the kettlebell crowd if I don't use the bells as much as I used to. At the same time it feels as if I am dropping myself if I rigidly stick to a protocol that is essentially linear in nature. I have always been a bit of a maverick when it comes to living life and now, finally, this personality quirk is beginning to express itself in my training as well. Ideally my training will allow me to develop the ability to move freely while using tools or while simply moving my body in space. I am also starting to wonder about the HUGE fight between the Hard Style and GS (soft style) exponents of kettlebell training. From where I am at (at the moment) neither of these methods seem to be "right". I guess I am starting to think that my body is a laboratory that is able and willing to try out various things. Obviously if I choose to become a performer in a specific sport I will have to narrow my focus to get good at whatever sport I choose. At the moment it feels as if life is my sport - which means that I will have to develop mainly the capacity to adapt to a variety of movements and modalities. For now I guess I will just be playing with all the various approaches to fitness rather than fully committing myself to any specific school of thought.

2 comments:

Howie B said...

Hey Buddy, the one biggest point I make to people when they ask me for fitness advice is this, "find out what you enjoy and do that!" For me, right now, I enjoy struggling under the kettlebells. I also know they will keep me fit and healthy. Yet I still struggle with a sore back. I too am torn. I want to be pain-free, but don't want to stop what I love doing. Life is full of changes and compromises!

Adam Steer said...

Hey Brother,

Best thing is, you're asking all the right questions. Keep searching and decide on your own path. Keep thinking and questioning and you'll find your way.

From what I can see, you've been doing a great job with your training evolution.

Cheers,
Adam