Tuesday, November 11, 2008

2008/11/11 - AKC Fitness Protocol and 24kg

My current 4x7 (my post IKFF certification 4x7) is designed to recover some lost strength in terms of pressing and squatting. Although the actual 4x7 is a bit on hold due to my shoulder injury the work I am doing is still focused on these goals. On my two moderate days I will focus on short timed sets of presses and jerks with the 24kg, some squat variations, windmills, get ups, and heavy swings. The high intensity days will either be based on the AKC fitness protocol with the 24 kg or long timed sets with the 16kg (and eventually the 24kg). For my high intensity day today I did a level 1 AKC session with the 24kg. Still only working the right side the session consisted of 1 minute sets with 2 minute rests. Here is the blow by blow:

Intu-flow Intermediate level

One Arm Jerk (24kg): 1 minute set: 12
Snatch (24kg): 1 minute set: 12
Clean (24kg): 1 minute set: 12
One Arm Jerk (24kg): 1 minute set: 12
Snatch (24kg): 1 minute set: 12
Clean (24kg): 1 minute set: 12

I did 20 swings with the 24 kg as a finisher and ended the session with some stretching.

Total volume: 2208kg

I thoroughly enjoyed the Intu-flow. The increased movement sophistication of the intermediate level feels great. The kettlebell work today also felt strong and solid and my technique was pretty sound. It really is amazing what a difference some solid instruction by masters like Steve and John can make. Something about the very hands-on teaching approach of the IKFF and the long practice sets seem to drill proper technique deeply into one's neurology. I caught myself a few times during today's session spontaneously correcting my technique when it started going a bit awry.

1 comment:

Howie B said...

Nice going. Mix it up and keep it interesting. I hope to be working with that 24kg sometime soon. =)

I love the quad hops in the Intermediate level. Not sure why...